dhcp send host-name

Home Forums MultiConnect OCG dhcp send host-name

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Will Blight
    Participant

Our MTCDP-H5-GP, loaded with Corecdp 2.3.3 is configured to use DHCP, and it does get an address. The OCG is used in a wide range of industrial applications to monitor sensors.
    Some installations the OCG is connect to the customers LAN, other installation will use cellular. I would like users on the LAN with no internet access to still be able to discover the OCG.

Other devices I have worked with send the hostname to the DHCP server so that the device can be discovered on the network by its hostname.

I have written a udp daemon that listens for a broadcast message so the OCG
    can be discovered quickly using our gateway app. For users that haven’t installed our app, I would like them to be able to use their browser with the OCG hostname the same way you can with a raspberry pi. This would typically be a technician with a cell phone or tablet.

I have tried changing the hostname and hosts files but they do not seem to make any difference.

I have read the following, that the dhcp client needs to send the hostname:
    Debian based OS’ update /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.config
    send host-name “hostname”

But in the OCG there is no dhclient.config.

So in summary I am looking for a way that end users can discover the OCG on their network, with their smart phone or PC without knowing the IP address and without having to look for an “unknown” client name in their routers DHCP client list.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Will.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.