Conduit AEP: Cellular Mode configuration available on 5.2.1 firmware

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Conduit AEP: Cellular Mode configuration available on 5.2.1 firmware

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ajay K
    Participant

Regarding configuring the Cellular related setting “Mode”. Below is the definition in the help files for configuring this setting.

Mode (varies with model) Choose from either PPP or WWAN for the cellular connection mode. (NOTE:
    For some models, this field is not available and the device defaults to PPP.
    Some fields described here are not used in WWAN mode.)

My question is when do you pick “WWAN” mode as opposed to “PPP” mode. Earlier there was just the PPP option and I am not sure now which one to pick?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Steve Kovarik

Hi Ajay

PPP and WWAN are two methods of accomplishing the same thing. PPP has been reliably supported in this device for quite some time. WWAN is a newer option that tends to provide faster data throughputs than the legacy PPP option.

-Best Regards

Ajay K
    Participant

Thanks Steve for the clarification. So bottom line if the two options are available in the conduit, its better to pick WWAN? Would that assumption be right?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Steve Kovarik

Hi Ajay

My personal preference is to use PPP, I guess old habits are hard to break. With PPP you’ll usually enter the SIM APN and verify the dial number.
    Whichever works best for you.

-Best Regards

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Hello Ajay,

If bandwidth is a priority I highly recommend WWAN. Testing has shown WWAN to have three times or more bandwidth than PPP.

In future products we are not planning to support PPP due to the fact that it is slower and it is actually harder to maintain when supporting the newer radios.

Jeff

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Jeff Hatch.
    Ajay K
    Participant

Thanks Steve and Jeff for providing your insights on PPP and WWAN. What is weird is if you have any thought on this issue we faced at one of our customers. This was a Conduit where we are trying to connect to the cellular network, and initially we chose PPP and it wouldn’t connect to the cellular network and when we switched it to WWAN it connected to the cellular network without any issues. Is there a reason for one working as opposed to other option not working?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Ajay,

I might be able to hypothesize, but first: Which radio was it?

Jeff

Ajay K
    Participant

The Conduit AEP model is MTCDT-L4N1-246A and the radio model and the radio status window had this information I am guessing is what you are looking for:
    Manufacturer Telit
    Model LE910C4-NF

Thanks,
    Ajay

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Hello Ajay,

My best guess would be that something happened initially with registration and the radio could not connect. When the switch to WWAN was done, the device firmware and/or radio initiated a “deregister” and then re-registered successfully.

Did the SIM get moved from another device to the one in question? There have been times when a SIM was being used with another radio and that radio didn’t get deregistered before the SIM was switch, and the SIM with being in a different radio caused registration issues.

Both are just hypothesis, but those are a couple of things that we’ve seen that cause that type of behavior.

Jeff

Ajay K
    Participant

Its possible we may have used the SIM on another conduit before. So bottom line it should have worked with PPP as well, there is no reason for a cellular network to connect only under WWAN option?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Ajay,

As far as I know that is correct. Connecting with a SIM via WWAN should work with PPP also.

Jeff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.