bitbake mlinux-base-image v5.3.5 fails with compilation errors

Home Forums General bitbake mlinux-base-image v5.3.5 fails with compilation errors

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jez.spratt@jci.com
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to the Multitech development scene and have just downloaded and installed mlinux v5.3.5 (initially as tarball, subsequently via git clone after I had problems building from the tarball but the same thing happens with both installations). After unzipping/cloning, I followed steps in the top-level README file to set up the build environment (I didnt change any files at all as MACHINE=”mtcdt” was already set in local.conf), then did a ‘bitbake mlinux-base-image’.
    After a few minutes, the build failed. There were literally hundreds of compilation warnings (even though it claims only 51 in the summary) and a few errors. The summary at the end shows:

| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
    | WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
    | ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/jez/multitech/mlinux_5.3.5/build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/3.0.0-r0/temp/log.do_compile.907476)
    ERROR: Task (virtual:native:/home/jez/multitech/mlinux_5.3.5/layers/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/qemu/qemu_3.0.0.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
    NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1958 tasks of which 0 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.
    NOTE: No commit since BUILDHISTORY_COMMIT != '1'

Summary: 1 task failed:
      virtual:native:/home/jez/multitech/mlinux_5.3.5/layers/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/qemu/qemu_3.0.0.bb:do_compile
    Summary: There were 51 WARNING messages shown.
    Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

I won’t include the whole log file now but here are a couple of example errors:

/home/jez/multitech/mlinux_5.3.5/build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/3.0.0-r0/qemu-3.0.0/linux-user/syscall.c:254:16: error: static declaration of ‘gettid’ follows non-static declaration
      254 | _syscall0(int, gettid)

and…

/home/jez/multitech/mlinux_5.3.5/build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/3.0.0-r0/qemu-3.0.0/linux-user/ioctls.h:177:9: error: ‘SIOCGSTAMPNS’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘SIOCGSTAMP_OLD’?
      177 |   IOCTL(SIOCGSTAMPNS, IOC_R, MK_PTR(MK_STRUCT(STRUCT_timespec)))
          |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~

I presume there shouldn’t be any errors when building the base image and I havent found any references to this kind of issue in the forums, so my question is what have I done wrong for the build to fail in such a fundamental way?

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions,
    Jez.

jez.spratt@jci.com
    Participant

I probably should have included my build platform details which is Ubuntu 20.04 (running on a VirtualBox VM under Windows 10). As it turns out, this was completely relevant it seems…
    I switched to another VM running Ubuntu 14.04, installed mlinux v5.3.5 again via git clone, followed the same setup steps as before and this time the mlinux-base-image build ran to successful completion. So happy days 🙂
    I didnt see any reference to Ubuntu versions in the mlinux getting started guide, but perhaps it is detailed somewhere else…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.