AEP vs mLinux: Does it really matters?

Home Forums General AEP vs mLinux: Does it really matters?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stelios Pa
    Participant

Hello, I’m going to buy some units and I want to know the difference between the two software models.

My units will be MTCDTIP-LEU1-266A-868

As shown here AEP & mLinux has the same firmware base, except that AEP provides the unit with a user friendly GUI for easy configuration of the station.

Are there any other limitations between the 2 software models and if I order the mLinux unit, can I latter change to AEP?

thanks!

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Stelios,

One significant difference is the remote management feature on AEP. The mLinux Conduits cannot be managed from Device HQ. This is important for remote management of applications and configurations of devices. One other significant difference is is the Cellular connection monitoring. AEP has a number of feature for monitoring and maintaining a PPP connection already built-in whereas on mLinux the customer has to do it.

AEP also has significant support for configuring LoRa functionality through the Web UI. This is a major convenience over doing it one’s self.

Jeff

Stelios Pa
    Participant

Hi Jeff, thanks for answering.

Configuring services from command line is not an issue in my case and device HQ is great but 4 hours interval is too much for me, my solution provides me live management/monitoring.

But can you explain a bit more about the Cellular ? I can understand monitoring but it provides tools for maintaining the connection too ? even if it goes down and mLinux is missing such features ?

That would be a problem in my case because cellular is the only WAN interface in my case and it should not go down in any case.

Also, if i order the mLinux models, is there any chance to upgrade them to AEP latter flashing the appropriate firmware ?

thanks

John Klug

AEP provides a variety of options for restarting PPP.

Carriers will not hold PPP up forever, and if AEP is not used, you will need to write your own PPP monitor, or find one. As Jeff said, this is not provided in mLinux.

An mLinux system may use AEP software, if you contact customer support.

Stelios Pa
    Participant

Thanks for your answers, you were very helpful

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.